Sunday, January 25, 2009

Week 1: Intro to Sho

Hello Hello everyone! So this is my introduction...so you can know a little bit about me! I am a first year graduate student within the MAIS Higher Education program with an emphasis on Student Affairs. I got my undergraduate degree from MSU, Mankato in Minnesota where I was apart of the student activities board for all five (yes..five) years of my undergraduate career. This is where I learned to become a leader and figured out what I wanted to do for a career. Currently I am a graduate assistant for Fraternity and Sorority Life. I advise the National Panhellenic Executive Council and work with students to plan the annual Greek Week.

Leadership experiences: My most valuable leadership experiences came from my undergraduate experience with the student activities board. I started as a silent leader but with the leadership and encouragement of my advisers I grew within my leadership. I learned how to be a leader to peers and how to also teach them how to be leaders. I was the president and vice president of the student activities board, managers at places of employment and now a leader to to the PHC and Greek Community.

When it said to blog about leadership...I really didn't know what to do. Do I say what I think is a leader or should I look for something online. Since we already did the what I think is a leader in class I decided to look online and see if I could find anything exciting. I found this website: http://managementhelp.org/ldrship/ldrship.htm#anchor283260 which is the free management library. It has different things that i know I will be looking at throughout this course. It has topics on leadership theories and styles, difference between management and leadership, emerging trends in leadership, and other things as well. I encourage you to check it out and see if it has anything interesting on it for you.

3 comments:

Mrs. Agouda said...

Hey Sho! Don't fret about the 5th year! The truth is, no one will know if you don't tell them. And even then, it won't hinder your job prospects at all. All that matters, is that you completed the degree in addition to all the other experiences you have that make you a great person to hire! :)

Francis X said...

Sho,

Agree with Mrs. A! Turn the 5 year fact into a positive story that highlights one of your strengths in eventually achieving your sucess - if it comes up as a topic of conversation. Johnny Mercer advice:
http://www.heptune.com/lyrics/accenttc.html

Josh Yavelberg said...

I agree with the 5 years... my girlfriend just graduated after 7 years. Everyone has their own pace and many people change majors a lot which lengthens their time in school.

I also have some experience with the greek community after being in a fraternity, running the house as well as holding a position in the Inter-Greek Council. Though it was an enriching experience, it was difficult to lead a bunch of people who are unwilling to do the right thing to survive and would rather have an "Animal House". Long story short, my fraternity no longer exists and I believe they will soon be loosing the multi-million dollar investment of a brownstone in Brooklyn.