Sunday, January 25, 2009

Leadership and us…

I spent most of my adult life in the Marine Corps. I was fortunate enough to have an NROTC scholarship to the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. The Marine Corps, as all branches of the United States military, stresses the importance of leadership. What is interesting is the Wharton School also has a linkage to the Marine Corps by way of a leadership program.

http://leadership.wharton.upenn.edu/l_change/trips/Corps.shtml

The leadership program is interesting because the Wharton School, as a business school, uses the military to provide its MBA students with an immersion experience for a few days at Quantico Marine Corps Base where I retired as the Director of Institutional Effectiveness in 2004. There are a lot of articles of MBA students discussing the leadership venture program.

In the Marine Corps I also worked with members of the other Armed Forces. I also worked as a Director of Education for a non-profit in Washington D.C. and have worked twice as a Defense Contractor and twice as a Certified Financial Planner as I employment in the civilian sector between tours on active duty and since retirement from the military.


I have witnessed both extraordinary and disappointing leadership in both the military and the civilian communities. There is nothing more satisfying than working with a good leader and nothing more draining than working with a poor leader.

One of the most gratifying things I have observed is how a team of men and women work together under adversity. I think we, as a class, know what the traits of leadership are from the discussions in class last Thursday. What I hope to learn is how to be a better leader and help others on their leadership journey.

1 comment:

Josh Yavelberg said...

I agree about the experiences with adversity. It is great to see how people come together to get jobs done or provide aid. I was in New York City on 911 and personally witnessed the tragedy and teh way that people came together to support one another. I also was living by Homestead when hurricane Andrew came through and destroyed everything.

These cases were great examples where many people emerged as excelent leaders. On the other hand, situations such as Katrina are similar in terms of adversity, but examples where leadership fell short on every level to meet the needs of people affected.