Sunday, January 25, 2009

Week 1: Intro to Leadership

Good Evening-

About me…I am staff member at George Mason University and work in the Athletic Ticket Office. I have been at George Mason University for the past seven years as I completed my undergraduate degree in Marketing in 2005. During my undergrad here at Mason, I was also a member of the women’s track and field team. I am currently pursuing graduate degree in the MAIS program with my focus on Sport Administration.

About Leadership…My leadership experience has come from my athletic career, activities I have been involved in and my short time as a Mason employee. I have played on many, many teams growing up. To me, leadership in athletics stems from the coach and the selected captains. These individuals lay the charge to unite a team of individuals towards a common. Their goal is to teach and maximize player’s potential to prepare for competition. As a captain, I sought the respect of my teammates and led by example. The captain or leader of a team must represent and embody what the organization stands for.

My experience with leadership in the workplace has been a bit harder to come by. In my previous experiences, team captains or coaches have been the driving force behind our goals. As an employee the leadership by directors has been somewhat non-existent. In someway this has taught me more about the how a leader should be and shaped how I feel I would like to be viewed as a leader; take charge, respected, organize initiative.

Being a member of the athletic department, we receive daily emails from NACDA (National Association of Collegiate Directors and Administrators). The Daily Review always includes information about conferences, member schools, and NCAA programs. I made my way to the site and found the NCAA offers a variety of leadership conferences, seminars, and workshops for both the student-athlete and future leaders within collegiate athletics. Check out some of there programs visit:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=292

Meghan

No comments: