Thursday, April 30, 2009

Seeking Tempered Radicals at HEP

Whenever I attend meetings, I always say if you bring a suggestion to the table, you should be prepared to carry it through to fruition. So I hope my suggestion doesn't come back to haunt me...

How would I enact tempered radicalism in HEP? I would like to see some kind of a learning community formed. I don't have a clue as to who is who in this program, what they study, what their future plans are, etc. If I didn't sit next to you in class, I don't know you exist. And even then, some teachers (Dr. Lester not included...) do not make an attempt to create a classroom atmosphere where students can get to know their peers -- which is rather sad because I think we are our own best resources when it comes to jobs and internships.

So how can this be improved upon? I know we're all busy with life, work, and school schedules. However, we can use a list-serve of some kind as a way to communicate with our peers. It can be managed by interests. For example, I am interested in community college leadership, transfer of GED grads to college, the use of distance education with low-income workers, and international education. I am sure there are at least 2 other people in our program who can connect with me on at least one of those subjects. However, I will never know, because we don't interact.

What kind of information can be shared over this list-serve? Relevant scholarships, dissertation grants, research information, interesting articles, jobs and internships, info on courses that were great (or really bad...) and just plain old fashioned discussion about the topic at hand.

What do you think?

No comments: