Sunday, April 12, 2009

Job Shadowing

In completing the job shadow, I realized that the best way in learning about leadership is by observing things firsthand. For my job shadow I decided to follow Dean Flagel- Dean of Admissions at George Mason University. There were many things that I learned from this experience. I saw that it is alright to give people jobs before helping them out. As a leader I learned that you can not do everything that people throw at you. As a leader you need to know how to delegate different jobs.

In observing Dean Flagel the different theories which was learned in class became clearer after the job shadow. The three theories which became clearer was Transformational, situational and skills. Looking at situational I saw the Dean Flagel handle two different meeting differently. One group needed to be directed and the other needed support. In Transformational I saw that setting a goal and motivating a staff is key to getting any job done.

Learning from others, in my opinion, is the best way to learn about any topic. Seeing someone complete the job and listening to where they may have made a mistake or done the right thing is the best way to support the reading that is done.

No comments: